Most important of Lough Erne's many island church settlements, Devenish was founded in the 6th century by St Molaise. It was raided by Vikings in 837 and burned in 1157, but in the middle ages flourished as the site of the parish church and St Mary's Augustinian Priory.
It is probably best known for it's perfect 12th-century round tower, one of the finest in Ireland, and ruined Augustinian abbey complete with intricately carved 15th-century high cross in graveyard.
Owing to a reduction in its operational budget, NIEA regrets that it is unable to operate its routine ferry service between Trory Point and Devenish in 2011. Party bookings may, however, be possible by prior arrangement (telephone Castle Archdale Country Park on 028 6862 1588).
Commercial boat tours on Lower Lough Erne taking in Devenish operate from the Round O in Enniskillen (MV Kestrel) and from The Manor House Hotel, Killadeas (Lady of the Lake)
See it during Septembers European Heritage Open Days 2011
- Sat 10th: 10am - 6pm
- Sun 11th: 10am - 6pm